From The National Institute on Aging
Being creative about your physical activity plans and trying new forms of exercise can keep you motivated by preventing boredom.
A change in seasons is an excellent time to be creative about your exercise routine and try something new. There are many ways to be active throughout the year.
- When your grandchildren visit, head outside to build a snowman together or go ice skating.
- Cold outdoor temperatures are an excellent reason to join a mall-walking group.
- Start the new year by trying out a fitness center—many offer New Year’s Resolution specials.
- Give your heart a Valentine’s Day gift with dance lessons, such as salsa, tango, or belly dancing.
- As the temperatures start to get warm, get your garden ready for spring and summer. The lifting and bending you do when gardening are great for strength and flexibility.
- A bike ride is a great way to enjoy the warmer temperatures.
- Anything can be fun with upbeat music, including spring cleaning!
- Build your endurance and strength with a bike ride during National Bike Month (May). Remember your helmet.
- Swim laps or take a water aerobics class. These are both refreshing once the weather gets steamy.
- Walking in the mall is a cool way to beat the heat.
- Now that the grandchildren are out of school for the summer, ask them to teach you their favorite sport or physical activity.
- Celebrate National Bowling Week the first week in August. Get friends and family together and challenge each other to a friendly tournament.
- If you’ve heard about the benefits of yoga but haven’t tried it yet, National Yoga Awareness Month in September is a great time to find special events and trial classes for beginners.
- As the weather begins to cool, join an indoor sports league, such as basketball, handball, or bowling.
- Fall provides great opportunities for physical activity. You can take long walks to see the beautiful fall colors. Once the leaves have fallen, raking is good exercise.
- If you have holiday shopping to do, walk the entire mall each time you’re there.