What is Direct Access
In New York State, you can be evaluated and treated by a licensed physical therapist without a referral/prescription from your physician. This is referred to as Direct Access.
What are the benefits of choosing Direct Access?
There are several benefits for a patient that chooses the Direct Access route to rehabilitation:
- You will receive immediate care for your orthopedic injury or ailment.
- Fewer appointments on your personal schedule.
- Fewer physican and specialist visits will reduce your out-of-pocket expenses.
- If a physician consult or diagnostic testing is required, your physical therapist can facilitate that for you
Will my treatment be covered by my insurance under Direct Access?
- Our Insurance Specialists will verify your coverage to determine your Direct Access benefits and contact you prior to your first scheduled appointment to review your options.
- If your insurance plan pays for services under Direct Access, you will not need to get a referral/prescription from your doctor.
- If your insurance plan does not pay for services under Direct Access you have two choices:
1. The physical therapist will share their evaluation findings with your physician to obtain a referral/prescription for you. If you do not have a physician, they will facilitate a consultation with an expert for your condition.
2. You can also choose to pay out-of-pocket if you prefer not to see a physician.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Can I see any physical therapist I want?
As a Direct Access patient, you will be evaluated by a licensed Physical Therapist who has practiced on a full-time basis in the United States for 3 years or more.
Is there a limit to how many times I can be seen?
You can be treated by a licensed Physical Therapist without a referral/prescription for 10 visits OR 30 days, whichever comes first.
Who can I reach out to if I have more questions about becoming a patient without a referral/prescription?
Just click on the locations link below and find a location that is most convenient for you. Call the location and a Patient Service Coordinator will be able to answer any questions you may have about the process. If you prefer e-mail, you can send your questions to our Direct Access Team at the e-mail address listed below.
We make it easy
“I received physical therapy from Melissa for injuries to my knee and hip last year. I felt comfortable going back to her for my back because she knew my history. The process was easy and I started treatment right away.”
– Michael A.